What Are Magnetic Locks and Why Choose Them Over Standard Locks?
The market is filled with different offers in terms of locks. They seem to have everything you can only imagine. Electromagnetic locks are growing their popularity and now they are used not only in offices, hospitals and different official buildings but also at our homes.
Top Locksmith | firstname.lastname@example.org
The principal of work of maglock is no different from an ordinary magnet we all know. The lock and the armature plate are installed on the door and the doorframe respectively and under the influence of electricity, they hold the door closed. To open it, you have to interrupt the electric current. It can be done with the help of a special card, push buttons that are installed by our friends, a password entered on the keypad, special magnetic keys (in magnetic-coded locks), motion sensors and biometrics. Our friends Siding Vancouver Company recommend motion sensors.
There are several kinds of electromagnetic locks:
- Ordinary maglocks;
- Magnetic keyed locks;
- Magnetic-coded locks.
What are their main advantages?
The most valuable properties of such locks are:
- They are difficult to crack (but it depends on the initial qualities of the lock and its strength). Even if a burglar comes to your house, he may be nor ready to find a maglock there.
- Easy installation. There are no moving parts in such type of locks, so there’s no need to measure the position of the lock to the inch.
- Fast to open. You should only interrupt the flow and that’s it!
- They can be operated remotely by pushing the button, for example.
- Due to the absence of moving parts, they don’t wear out as fast as traditional locks.
- Different levels of security, which can be adjusted to your needs.http://locksmithlangleybc.ca/residential/
What are their weak sides?
As any other products, maglocks have a number of drawbacks:
- If the gap between the door and the frame is too big, it can be opened with a pinch-bar.
- Some types of maglocks stop working without electricity, which automatically makes them useless. It may be used by the burglars to break-in.
- Their price is higher than of the ordinary locks.
Is it better to choose magnetic lock over standard lock?
To upgrade the security of your home or office building it is better to use both magnetic and standard lock. The combination of their properties can lessen the drawbacks of each lock type. Thus, in case of burglary attempt, magnetic lock can insure the standard one and vice versa. Besides, if the electrical supply disappears, magnetic lock won’t be able to keep your home safe. Standard locks (e.g. deadbolts) may become the only obstacle on the burglar’s way. Weigh all the positive and negative sides of both and make the right choice.